Why Choose Mesquite ISD?
Mesquite ISD offers access to a wide range of award-winning academic, career-preparatory, fine arts and athletics programs, special clubs and organizations. Student offerings include career and technology courses, bilingual education, dual credit classes, three foreign languages and American Sign Language, among other educational options—all led by certified teachers. Our goal: provide something special for every student.
- In 2017 and 2016, West Mesquite High School earned silver distinction on U.S. News & World Report’s Best High Schools List (placed in top 10 percent of Texas High Schools). Poteet High School, won bronze in 2016 and silver in 2017.
FINE ARTS ACCOLADES
- Four consecutive years, the NAMM Foundation recognized MISD as one of the Best Communities for Music Education. This honor is for only four percent of districts nationwide.
Career & Technology Education Excellence
- Students place at state, national and international competitions.
- Two years in a row, Mesquite High School won the Overall District UIL Academics Championship.
- Four students achieved National Merit Semifinalist status.
- In 2016-17, three MISD football teams were ranked in the DFW Top 20, with Poteet High School advancing to the state semi-finals.
- MISD sent athletes to state in cross country, swimming, boys and girls track and field and girls golf.
- B.J. Elementary teacher Andrea Miller was a finalist for the 2016 Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching.
- Agnew Middle School science teacher Malori Wooten and North Mesquite High biology teacher Jill Hager received the 2017 Texas Instruments Foundation Innovation in STEM Teaching Award.
- Wilkinson Middle School is one of 19 Texas 2017 Schools Transforming Learning elite campuses named by the Principals’ Institute.
- Rutherford Elementary’s Destination Imagination team, the Flying Unicorns, advanced to the state tournament in Lubbock.